Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mommy report: 20 ounces. No tube. Nuff said.

What Braska looked like (pretty close anyway) the last time she had a fully tube-free day…..  April 2007.  (And those tube-free days were hurting her, dehydrating her, though we didn’t know it at the time… but no more!)
image

Clearly, that particular day wasn’t tube free.  Man, I do NOT miss that NG.  We don’t mind the g-button at all, but that NG tube was a pain!  In the picture above, she weighed 10 lbs 8 oz at 4 months old.  She was weighed again today by her nutritionist… and we met a new goal

Anyway, I’m beat from a long day, but I couldn’t miss documenting today’s victory. 

After our big celebration yesterday of record-demolishing totals of oral intake, I had hopes that we would get to the point that ALL her fluids in the day could be covered orally… but I didn’t think it would be now.

Today she took in over 20 ounces of liquid, (mostly milk, some juice) via sippy cup or open cup.  She also handled her calories,“entrees” as I call them… semi-blended soups, etc…and her much beloved yogurt.  One very successful day!

No tube feeds today!! None were needed!!

I acknowledge that there may be days that don’t go so smoothly, we may not be ready to count the sequential tube-free days yet.  But the progress is clear, and for that, I’m SO thankful!

Thank you ALL for your encouragement!!  I do so appreciate having so many wonderful people on this journey with us!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! So wonderful! I've always been told once they get it, they get it :) I am sooo happy for Braska, what a huge accomplishment!!!So encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What an awesome day for you guys. It is amazing to see a child that you begin to think will always be a certain way or do a certain thing, turn that corner and start to progress toward that goal that you've had for them for what seems like forever. What a victory! Keep up the good work, Braska! You are getting to be such a big girl, very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! that is awesome!

    aw, baby Braska. How are these girls all so big?

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to leave a note so Mommy can read them to me each day!! (Sorry to add the moderation, but we were getting spammed!!) Thank you!