Skip to main content

Mommy report: Rough night, pleasant morning

Here's a shot of the new process: gravity bolus feeds through the new tube. This was at 10 pm last night.


So after Braska took her 10 o'clock feed, while she slept, it seemed we were in good shape. I got to sleep about 10:45 pm, but was awakened to some very wet coughing around 11:15 pm, and this always leads to a mess. I got to her in time to witness the first round of vomitting. This was pretty similar to what had happened the night before when she woke up crying and such. Over the next 20 minutes, as we waited for the nurse that we had paged, she did it twice more, with more projection each time, even getting me in the face once. Sorry, I know it's gross, but if I had to live it, you can read it! She just screamed the whole time, and every squirm would agitate the g-tube site, which would hurt, and the cycle continued. We finally got her calmed down, had a whole big pile of messy linens and clothes, hers and mine. I propped her up on her side and covered her good, and she went back to sleep. She slept the rest of the night, Thank God! We slept ok, even more soundly than I expected for my part. We didn't have a roommate, which is a huge blessing!

She woke up just before 7 am this morning. They had left a note to call them for a weight when she got up, before we fed her, so I did. She weighed about 13 lbs 8 oz. We were able to get her from the bed to the scale and back without her getting upset, so that's good. They told me she didn't get any Tylenol overnight, which has been the only pain med she's been on since about an hour after the procedure! Amazing, I think. Anyway, I asked that they give her more this morning, since we're aiming to try to get all the way home today. I can't imagine quite how it's going to go in the car seat with the straps and all for 3 hours to get home. We'll see. We may stay in town at the in-laws if the trip from the hospital to the in-laws doesn't go well, heading home tomorrow. We'll decide as we go.

So her feed this morning stayed down and she's been in pretty good spirits. We tried to get her out of bed before the Tylenol had taken effect, and that wasn't so good. But once we gave it time, I got her up and let her look out the window for a while, and that all went well. She's been playing with her toys in her crib and kicking like a crazy girl. I hope that signals good things for the rest of the day.


Thank you ALL for your comments, support, and prayers. It'll be quite an adjustment, we can tell, in everything from how we pick her up and hold her, to what we'll be able to do in therapy, at least for 6 weeks til we change to the flat button.

Comments

  1. Our continued love and prayers for that sweet gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good lookin' panda, 'Braska! And by the way, you should avoid projectile vomiting on your mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you get to go home today huh? That is good news. I hope the car ride is not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RK, You both are amazing! Braska looks great despite all. I'm watching your entries closely as Tommy will be getting his PEG later this month. I didn't even think about the carseat straps on the return home (ouch). We will also have a 2-3 hour drive from Children's Hosp here in Seattle. Blah! We continue to pray for Braska's recovery, resistance to infection and for momma bear to get some rest! Many thoughts heading your guys way. -Sandi and Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been slackin this past week with reading my regulars. I didn't even realize she was in the hospital!

    What about smaller, more frequent feeds to help her keep them down?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks good! Hope you are feeling well too RK. Have a safe trip home and we'll see you soon. Karen K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our prayers are continued, keep us updated! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still thinking of all of you! Sorry it was a rough night - but Braska is looking great! Tell her no more puking on mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had much chance to comment these last few days, but wanted you to know I've been keeping Braska in my prayers; glad to see surgery went well, sorry about the rough night though! Hope she's well on the road to going home soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave a note so Mommy can read them to me each day!! (Sorry to add the moderation, but we were getting spammed!!) Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy report: Chatty girl

Braska's been just loving her words lately. She's still signing some, mostly when we're in public or around strangers, but she's adding more words all the time. Many of her words are just attempts at the actual word, but that's where we all start, right?!? We're not saying that she'll be giving speeches next month, but we are very proud that she's become such a mimic and that she is loving using so many sounds. We practice often, just running through her words, signs, and tricks. She especially loves to chime in with videos of herself, so I've been working on compiling all her favorites for her to work with. As I was editing this, she was sitting here saying the words over and over. So funny to hear her talking to herself on the screen and loving it. So here's a peek at some clips from our practice session tonight. Some words are more obvious than others. They are all great attempts, though, and we'll celebrate that! Make an on-line

Nebraska meets Indiana

Braska's reaction to meeting the very kind Rory Feek and his beautiful daughter Indy.  I missed the part where Braska said Indy was sooooooooooo cute!  :) Our dream would be a photo showing the two most beautiful "states" together, right?!?  :)