Skip to main content

Mommy life: Tagged: 7 songs, part 1

A short while back, Christina over at Prince Vince Meets the World tagged me to “List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what they are. They must be songs you are presently enjoying.” I’ve seen this going around on blogs, and it’s interesting to see what people have, if I’ve heard of the songs/artists, and what that tells me about that person. I generally do not take the time to do this type of thing, but since I’m sitting in a hospital room with some time on my hands while Braska gets better, I thought this is as good a task as any. Plus two of them are because of her, so that’s a good place to start.

So here’s the music, and I’ve included links to the lyrics, and these pages have the songs to listen to as well. I’ll start with Braska’s songs.

You Ruined Everything by Jonathan Coulton
This is a song that my husband connected me with during my pregnancy. I liked it immediately, and listened to it alot. It’s a happy song, even though the title might be a bit concerning at first. For me, it summarizes the idea that even though we didn’t “plan” to have this little girl, or any little girl or boy for that matter, life couldn’t have been turned upside down for a better reason. Initially, we just thought it would apply to the adjustments of parenting in general after being set in our ways from being self-centered for all these years of child-free time. After she was born and we were given her diagnosis of Down syndrome/T21, and then complete AV canal, the road immediately in front of me was overwhelming and very lonely-looking. This became my favorite phrase…
Bumps in the road remind us
The worst of the best behind us
Only good things will find us
Me and you


And this one became oh so true…
We’re gonna need more money

I wouldn’t have everything un-ruined if I could.

I’m Your Moon by Jonathan Coulton
This one is really M’s song to our girl. He explains it very well here. But I like it alot as well, and I’ve been listening to it quite a bit lately, so I wanted to include it. It’s supposed to be about poor Pluto getting booted off the planets list…seems a strange thing to write a song about, but in doing so, JC has managed to hit a pretty neat parallel for us in many ways. My favorite phrases of this one are…
We can only be who we are
It doesn’t matter if they don’t understand


Let them think what they like, we’re fine
I will always be right here next to you


I have a tendency to care too much what others think and what is "normal." I'm learning to let go of that more by the hour, and it's a nice kind of freedom.

Comments

  1. Just now got a chance to check out the blog. You know about Weds. being a busy day, with Hospice, church, etc. Thanks for sharing the lyrics. Songs say so much ..good ones, at least. I'm so thankful to God that Braska has made us all closer, more caring, and more thankful for God's blessings... including BRASKABEAR!

    papa beagle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave a note so Mommy can read them to me each day!! (Sorry to add the moderation, but we were getting spammed!!) Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Mommy report: Chatty girl

Braska's been just loving her words lately. She's still signing some, mostly when we're in public or around strangers, but she's adding more words all the time. Many of her words are just attempts at the actual word, but that's where we all start, right?!? We're not saying that she'll be giving speeches next month, but we are very proud that she's become such a mimic and that she is loving using so many sounds. We practice often, just running through her words, signs, and tricks. She especially loves to chime in with videos of herself, so I've been working on compiling all her favorites for her to work with. As I was editing this, she was sitting here saying the words over and over. So funny to hear her talking to herself on the screen and loving it. So here's a peek at some clips from our practice session tonight. Some words are more obvious than others. They are all great attempts, though, and we'll celebrate that! Make an on-line

Nebraska meets Indiana

Braska's reaction to meeting the very kind Rory Feek and his beautiful daughter Indy.  I missed the part where Braska said Indy was sooooooooooo cute!  :) Our dream would be a photo showing the two most beautiful "states" together, right?!?  :)